- ENS (Ethereum Name Service) is a distributed and extensible open-sourced naming system based on the Ethereum blockchain.
- It maps human-readable names like “Alice. eth” to machine-readable identifiers such as Ethereum addresses, content hashes, and metadata.
- Users of ENS domains can register their preferred domains for a fixed annual period with a corresponding fee paid in ether ($ETH). The registration can be renewed once the period is over.
- These ENS domains can be transferred or sold similarly to NFTs on digital assets marketplaces such as OpenSea.
- Some ENS domains, such as Amazon.eth and Apple.eth are valued more than others.